All I have to say is—I LOVE MASON JARS!! Who else loves them too? I practically use them for everything! I use them for drinks, storage, serving dishes, canning, and of course decor! These DIY fall mason jars make a great statement decor piece. The great thing about these jars is you can spell out any fall word you would like to incorporate into your decor. The possibilities are endless! So gather up your supplies and get crafting. This DIY project is easy and can be done before your guests show up for Thanksgiving festivities!
- Mason jars-wide mouth quart
- Paint–for both the jars and the letters
- Sponge brush
- Letter stencils–I made my own with my Silhouette or you can free hand paint your letters
- Glue gun
- Coarse sandpaper
- Letter stencils or a Silhouette cutting machine and vinyl
- Wipe down all mason jars to remove any dirt or oil.
- Paint mason jars. Tip: for a distressed look, paint thin coats of paint. Too thick of coats will take longer to dry and harder to sand.
- Let paint dry for a couple of hours or until paint is not tacky to the touch. Tip: if you start to paint your second coat too soon, the paint will start to peel and ball up. If you can, letting it dry overnight is best.
- Repeat another thin layer of paint and let dry. I chose to just paint 2 layers since I planned to distress and sand them. Don’t worry if some of the glass is peeking through your paint—it just makes the sanding process faster.
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 if a more solid look is desired.
- While you wait for your paint to dry, cut your stencils if you are making your own.
- Cut your burlap down to size.
- Wrap burlap around your jars and hot glue ends to secure.
- Place stencil onto the burlap and apply paint, repeat, and let dry.
- And embellish!