I’m a sucker for all things “back to school.” I love the excitement of new clothes, new pencil boxes, a changing season, and new opportunities—or maybe I just love buying new things? Regardless, back to school is a time to celebrate! In my family we have a tradition of getting together the week before school starts for our annual “Back to School Fashion Show.” All the kids (now nieces, nephews, grandkids) bring their new school clothes and model them down the “runway” of the living room. It’s a fun way to get excited about the upcoming school year and celebrate with the whole family.
After the “fashion show” is over we always have some treats and that’s where these apple-shaped rice krispie treats steal the show. They are really easy to make and get their red color from strawberry Jell-O. So actually they are strawberry flavored, apple rice krispie treats, haha. They are a tasty spin on an old classic. They are devoured by kids and adults alike. And you know what they say…”an apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Make a batch for your kids as a back to school treat, take them to a teacher, or make them for yourself to celebrate (or mourn—depending on the minute) that kid’s are back in school and Fall is on it’s way.
- 6 cups Krispy Rice Cereal
- 50 large marshmallows (there are usually 40 in a standard package, but the extra ten give it just a little extra boost of marshmallow-y goodness)
- 3 tablespoons real butter
- 1 small 3 ounce package of Jell-O, strawberry flavor
- 25 small Tootsie Roll Candies
- 1 small tube green icing
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Wax Paper
- Red Food Coloring, optional
- Melt marshmallows and butter in large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Once melted and combined into a gooey sauce, stir in Jell-O package (just the powder, no water). Continue stirring until well mixed. At this point you can add a couple drops of red food coloring if you want your apples to be more vibrant.
- Next, stir in the Rice Krispies cereal until it well incorporated and covered with the marshmallows.
- Spray hands with non-stick spray and take a small handful of covered cereal and roll mixture a ball (size should be a little larger than a golf ball—no really. You’ll wanna make them bigger, but don’t. Just trust me on this).
- Place balls on wax paper to cool. The Jell-O helps them to keep their shape.
- After the balls have cooled for a few minutes, make an imprint in the top of the “apple” with your thumb and place the unwrapped tootsie roll inside the hole for the “stem.”
- Pipe a small leaf or two on top of the “apple” to finish it off. Frosting seems excessive, but is surprisingly a perfect touch in this sugar on sugar treat.
- TIPS: Try not to eat more than three at a time. You’ll get a gut-ache, or so I’ve heard. I never have problems with self control and sugar.